Regularly cleaning stained glass helps maintains its real beauty. Being comprised of several different colors and shapes of glass, the beauty of stained glass depends on the amount of light it receives. The amount of light and the direction the light hits the glass can constantly change the appearance of the artwork. Cleaning stained glass when it becomes dirty allows the maximum amount of light to pass through, and the beauty of the stained glass is maintained. Keep your stained glass Tiffany lamps,stained glass panels floor lamps, stained glass ceiling fixtures, and stained glass wall sconces looking their best to show off their original colors.
Light dusting with a feather duster or dry cloth is all cleaning really needed.
However, if the stained glass is really dirty or covered with grease and grime, follow these steps:
- Before cleaning any lamp or unique light fixture, unplug the fixture from the outlet.
- Cleaning products made of opaque stained glass, art glass, or jadestone, as well as most metal lamp bases and fixture frames, is easy. Apply a small amount of lemon-oil based furniture polish to a soft clean cloth and wipe gently.
- Never apply polish directly to the piece being cleaned. When cleaning light fixtures made of beveled or transparent glass, apply a small amount of non-ammonia, non-vinegar household glass cleaner to a soft cloth, and gently wipe the stained glass.
- Never use vinegar, ammonia or any acid based cleaner, as this will destroy the cames and solder that is holding the stained glass pieces together.
- Fixtures hanging near cooking areas in kitchens may have heavy layers of greasy buildup or dirt. Mr. Clean Top Job® works best for cleaning greasy buildup from stained glass. Apply the cleaner to a soft cloth, and wipe gently. After cleaning, reapply lemon-oil based furniture polish to the shade, for best results.
- To clean shades made of mica or fabric, wipe gently with a soft, dry cloth or a feather duster.
We, at Smashing Stained Glass & Lighting are dedicated to providing our customers with helpful design ideas, lighting information, and the finest quality stained glass at the best prices. With unparalleled customer service and support to ensure complete satisfaction with every purchase.